Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Ladies and Gentlemen (And People That Visit This Site)

I present to you, one of my favorite musical acts of all time, the one and only: Six Organs of Admittance!

Also known as the talented Ben Chasny, this constantly shape-shifting music project never ceases to amaze me with its ability to redefine itself with every new release. Chasny is a picker if ever there was one, and his talent and craft are only eclipsed by his sheer humbleness. To see Six Organs play live is to see an artist paint. But he paints in such a way that you never see the brush move - all you get is bursts of color and emotion. Fine by me.

But seriously, folks: BenChasny

Ben/6OoA just released a brilliant new album called "Shelter From the Ash." It's about as cheery as the title might suggest. But what it lacks in glee, it more than makes up for in its ability to roll them stones. The subject matter traffics heavily in paranoia, anger, apocalyptic visions, fear and all out desperation. But something about an album as beautiful and masterfully rendered as this one makes me smile. Honesty like that has to be a good thing.

You know why? In my humber opinion, this world is lacking in artists. Real artists. Those who could care less whether they turn a dollar for any of their effort. Those who create just for the sake of creation. Those who let their work speak for itself. I say without a grain of my usual irony or sarcasm: Ben Chasny is one of these artists, in every sense possible.


Although the album officially dropped today, I actually caught a download of it months ago, and I've been digging on it the entire time. I think it receives The Dispatches from the Ledge Award for Best Reproduction of Hopelessness on an Album. Seriously, it makes perfect sense appearing on a web site masthead as bleak as this one.

And keep an eye out: he'll be touring in January. And as he himself says on track 4: "I'm coming to get you."

Here's a video for the title track off "Shelter From the Ash" for your listening and viewing pleasure. (And if you can guess how many guitar tracks are on this song, you win a free lunch!*)



*I cannot confirm that you will ever receive this lunch.

No comments: