Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Kid Nation: Sworn Enemy of Dry Eyes

Okay, so has everyone been watching the new show Kid Nation?

I fucking hate "reality" television. In fact, I can probably count all the television shows I like on one or maybe two hands. And guess what: none of them are reality based, folks. In 99.99% of the time, it's the lowest common denominator.

But this show? PURE GENIUS.

40 kids - ages 8-15 - are picked to run a town with no adult supervision whatsoever for 40 days. Cooking, cleaning, government, organization of labor - you name it, these kids have to deal with it.

Remember that douchebag Puck from the Real World? Well, there are nine year olds on this show more mature than that meat puppet. Hell, there are nine year olds on that show that are more mature than my parents.

I've watched the first two episodes so far and I'm going to make a confession here, internets: the fucking show has made me cry both times! Inconceivable!

(Granted, I've been a little unstable this week, but that's a blog of a different color. Black.)

There is something so perfect about the concept of this show. It's a great idea, but there's so much heart and soul, too. These kids are all acting on the purest of emotions - good, bad or indifferent - and it shines through in the footage, making for a very honest and touching program. You really care about these kids, you recognize and encourage the best in them and you want them to win.

But this poor little guy broke my heart: Jimmy.

Jimmy, 8, was the youngest kid on the show. The other kids really loved him and tried help him out and make him feel welcome. But it just proved too much for the poor little fella. So he packed it up and went home. (Every kid has the opportunity to do the same at any time.) He just missed his family too much, which make sense, since he's 8 god damn years old! I probably would have had to go home after peeing all my pants if I was put in that situation at his age.

Look at THIS PICTURE. I mean, how cool is this kid? I'm more than three times his age and I have never and will never be that cool.

Check out this clip for a sample of the show and to see the poor little guy going through the bends and trying to decide whether he should stay or go (the beginning is a bit emotional but the moment at 3:20 is really hysterical when Jimmy disses Greg, the camp bully.):


Long term, I'm rooting for Michael. He's a soft-spoken natural leader, who really leads by example rather than any kind of administration. He's the kind of kid your mother wanted you to be. (Maybe that's why this show kills me so much - it reminds me that I was once a nice sweet kid too, instead of the Gollum-like shell I am today.) I'm a big fan of Mike (different kid) too - I think he's got a good heart.

Jeez. Listen to me. Talking about reality show participants by their first names. I'VE BECOME ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE!!!! NOOOOO!!!!

Okay, I have to go cry again.

8 comments:

D'Artagnan said...

You know, I just read Jimmy's profile and he seems like kind of a jerk. He wants to put an electric fence in the border of the United States (above ground and underground) to keep people out, and he wants the army to deliver immigrants back over to their countries of origin. And: he's a Bushie. Well Jimmy, it was nice while it lasted.

D'Artagnan said...

Michael's politics, on the other hand, are right on! Good one on ya, Michael!

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you. I am somehow obsessed with this show even though Michael seems to be sort of a "SPEECH HOG" at this point in time.

I love that cooky kid. what's his name? Randy?

D'Artagnan said...

I think you mean Jared? The really spazzy guy who's always talking to the camera? If Woody Allen and Jeff Goldblum ever had a kid together, it would be Jared.

Also, I didn't mention it previously because I don't want to sound like Mr. Creepy Internet, but Sophia is pretty kickass. She's cool, tough and she works and cooks like a fiend. She's like if Kim Deal meets Martha Stewart meets Suze Orman.

Anonymous said...

I read about this show while over 'stateside'. Was saying in the San Fran Chron that the preview was better than the show. 'Typical CBS' or something. A new generation of child star f**k ups is what we need!

On the otherhand, 'Rock of Love' on vh1. Gail loved that so much! I was more fascinated and appauled by Nancy Grace!

Anonymous said...

When I first saw the promos for this show I was pretty sure it was going to end up like Lord of the Flies, so I havent been watching. However, I trust your judgment

Anonymous said...

I have got to agree with you 100%.
Michael's one of my friends, and I would not have watched this show at all if not for his appearance. I'm not into reality either, so I was only really excited for seeing him on there. But now, I am super into it.
If anyone has a facebook, there's a group called Michael (From Kid Nation) for President!
Anyways, glad to hear you're enjoying it as much as me... I thought I was a loner there for a little while...

D'Artagnan said...

Wow, thanks for stopping by, friend of Michael! Sorry I cursed so much in my blog. I'm old and grouchy.

And Bailz, you thought it would be like Lord of the Flies and then you *didn't* watch? I'm amazed! Tune in, this show is good stuff.